Recruitment & Training
Experienced Journeyman? Join!
Ex-Military? Helmets to Hardhats
Members Only Homepage
History of 614
- United Association officially born October 11, 1889.
- Steamfitters Local 614 was chartered April 26, 1913.
- Apprenticeship School Started August 10, 1954 as Plumbers and Pipefitters Trust Agreement with Memphis Piping Trades Association and registered by Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training, January 31, 1955. New Trust Agreement with Memphis Mechanical Contractors Association, Inc. was signed by Trustees of Steamfitters Local No. 614 effective date April 1, 1967. Apprenticeship Office was located at Labor Temple, 571 Beale until March 31, 1965 when they were moved to 3794 Park. Roy Winn was Apprenticeship Coordinator for the Plumbers and Steamfitters. School was attended at Tech High School on Poplar at Cleveland.
- The Local Union Offices moved from the Labor Temple at 571 Beale to a house located at 3754 Jackson Avenue in 1961. Warranty deed was signed February 6, 1961, for property on Jackson.
- Building Program started with Special Membership Meeting on September 20, 1963. Motion to build passed 63 votes to 43.
- Meeting Hall was completed and first Membership Meeting was held in the New Hall, May 1, 1964.
- Offices were built onto Meeting Hall and occupied September 25, 1967.
- Apprenticeship School and Offices were built onto existing building. Offices were occupied on September 13, 1973, and School was ready for September, 1973 classes.
- Building Fund Resolution establishing One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) Assessment for the purpose of Building Program adopted January 20, 1961.
- Health and Welfare Fund Trust Agreement was adopted April 1, 1960.
- Pension Fund started April 1, 1968.
- Political Education Fund started July 1, 1989.
- Organizing Fund started July 1, 1997.