Are you currently in the military or are you about to be discharged? UA Local 614 is proud to be an active partner with Helmets to Hardhats. This program provides direct entry into the Union Construction trades for the ex-military.
If you're looking for a career that has many of the same characteristics of the military in terms of training, comradery, benefits, and more, then this is a great next step for you to take in your career path.
The steps to apply is as follows:
- Register with Helmets to Hardhats and create and account with them. www.HelmetsToHardhats.org Once you register on Helmets to Hardhats, go to your account information and print out the page to show your registration on Helmets to Hardhats. You will need this for application day.
- Complete an Application with UA Local 614. If you have no construction experience, you need to fill out our Apprentice Application Form. If you have at least 5-years of pipefitting, HVAC, or welding experience then fill out our Experienced Journeyman Application Form.
- Attend Application Day with your documentation.
What is Application Day?
Application Day is held once each month. On this day, you are required to be here when the doors to the training center open at 8am. No exceptions, if you arrive late you will not be admitted. The address is:
5670 Commander Drive
Arlington, TN 38002
Upon your arrival you will sign-in with your Valid Drivers License and receive your orientation packet. Non-Military and Apprentice applicants will also pay the $60 Aptitude Testing Fee. Military and organized apprentices do not have to pay this fee. More information about aptitude test will be explained as part of the orientation.
Upon conclusion of the orientation, applicants will hand in all of their required documents. If you're missing a document you will have an additional fifteen (15) days to submit from your application day before your application will be deemed invalid and you will have to start the process at the beginning.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST OF UPCOMING APPLICATION DAY DATES.
Application Day Documents to Bring:
- VALID Drivers License. You must have a valid driver's license (No Restrictions or Exceptions) NOT a State ID.
- Copy of one of the following: DD-214, NGB-22, or Proof of Active Service
- Proof of Registration on Helmets to Hardhats
- Copy of your Birth Certificate
- If you're a applying under the Apprentice Application you must include three (3) Personal Letters of Reference. CLICK HERE to download our Letter of Reference template. The template is not required and can be in the form of a letter.
- Copy of High School Diploma, if applicable
- Official Copy of High School Transcripts (must contact your High School). You must provide our email address to your High School or to the on-line service for it to be an Official Copy. Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WE CANNOT ACCEPT AN UNOFFICIAL COPY, if you bring the hard copy, DO NOT OPEN THE ENVELOPE, IT MUST BE SEALED. If you have a GED, you MUST still get the “Official Transcript” from what time you went to high school.
- TRANSCRIPTS ARE TAKING LONGER TO GET, PUT IN YOUR REQUEST TODAY.
- Copy of GED, DIPLOMA, and Official Report of GED Test Results, if applicable
Application Day Drug Test
Upon conclusion of the Application Day Orientation, you will immediately submit to a Drug test. The location for the test often changes and will be provided to you upon your arrival. It may be on location or at a drug testing facility.